zine, [zeen] noun. 1. abbr. of fanzine; 2. any amateurly-published periodical. Oxford Reference

..

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Back on track...

via Everyone's Blog Posts - We Make Zines by Kira Swales on 10/7/09
So after a couple of months since moving house and becoming somewhat disconnected from the outside world, I have the internet back in my life, and I can get back to being my normal ball of chaotic creative energy!
Lots has happened in the last month or so;

Exploding the Myth #2 is all printed and trading is good :) It's a special, one-off, full colour issue. I got some of them printed for free but I'm running out FAST and can't afford to print anymore, so grab em while you can! Issue 3 is blossoming well, however, finding the time to sit down and work on it proves somewhat difficult at present.
My upcoming mini-zine is currently on hold, but NOT abandoned.

So, I've moved from Yorkshire to Cheshire, and the comparison is vaster than initial impressions might suggest. Chester seems to be a very white, very conservative town, somewhat lacking in punks, zines and weed. I have a new job working for a big capitalist corporation and, well, I pretty much hate it already. It's like Satan's factory farm. But more about that to come in ETM #3.
One up side of living here is being closer to Manchester for good gigs etc. We were able to see Sister Spit (the next generation) about two weeks ago which blew my mind!! Half of my favourite names from the best bookshelf in the house, right before my eyes! Cristy Road was gorgeous and way friendlier than I had expected...I enjoyed her book Bad Habits immensely, and so was wayy disappointed to find out she had no copies of her first book left to sell - but James lent me the money to get an awesome poster. I was overjoyed to finally buy a copy of The Creamsickle directly from the author(Rhiannon Argo) and I've been reading that on my every lunchbreak -almost finished!

In other news I contributed a piece I wrote called "Alienation" to the compilation zine "I knew a motherfucker like you and she said..." edited by Clementine Cannibal. This piece is also now available to view on my website at: http://kira.swales.googlepages.com/alienation

Other than that I'm just keeping busy and trying hard to find time to write and draw in. James and I are currently trying to figure out organising a show for Silas Howard (co-founder of the band Tribe 8 and co-director of By Hook Or By Crook) in Manchester, which I'll write more about if we can make it happen. Now I've thoroughly exhausted myself for the night catching up on all my internet duties, and it's time for a cuppa tea then bed. I advise you to do the same ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog