zine, [zeen] noun. 1. abbr. of fanzine; 2. any amateurly-published periodical. Oxford Reference

..

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Zeen Review: Feminista #1

via Simon Gray's Web Candy on 4/24/08



FEMINISTA #1 by Various

Having picked up #2 a few months prior, I knew a bti more what to expect in 'Feminista' in this first edition. Last time round I was expecting some kind of feminist political zeen, now I was expecting a punk rock fanzine & my expectations were matched this time. I picked #1 up @ a split zeen launch, it was sharing the event with 'Corrupt Me!', 'Sprak!' & 'Analog Apocalypse' & with the exception of 'Sprak!' which is a movie fanzine, all the zeens were of a punk fanzine ilk. Now if this is the zeen company 'Feminista' is keeping, yeah, they come across as the vanguard of punk as cunt power. In that respect though, it's still a punk fanzine, not my personal forte. I was pretty keen on interviews with gypsy crazies Baseball & agit-prop hip hop Macromantics 'cause it moved in newer directions than a generic musical monoculture. & This issue also featured some recipes for food & DIY skin care that wasn't found in #2. But there was still a huge dose of reviews, photos & interviews w/ punk bands, just about all of them boys. I gotta wish the femmes still behind the scenes @ 'Feminista' well, but this may be where I say goodbye. A5 portrait format, bound by rubber band, pink paper skin w/ B&W guts. URL: www.myspace.com/feministafanzine


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog