zine, [zeen] noun. 1. abbr. of fanzine; 2. any amateurly-published periodical. Oxford Reference

..

Thursday, May 22, 2008

RIOT (UK) issues 5, 6, 7 & 8

via punks is hippies - the blog! by Slobodan Burgher on 5/6/08


Paul got in touch after finding his way to Punks Is Hippies and asked me if I wanted a stack of zines that he had laying around collecting dust. Now, whereas I obviously welcome all and any help with this blog/website/project I think that ultimately the real thing - the paper version of a zine- is the best format to read zines and I would therefore encourage people to keep hold of their old zines and rather give scanning a go themselves (it is actually not that tricky when it all comes down to it, takes about 10-20 minutes for a zine when you know what to do).

Paul:

"Anyway I have got the issues of Riot that I have, scanned and RARed and hopefully on Rapidshare so there should be a link in here for you to try, if it works( it does for me) please post it on PIHblog for all the other zine freaks. I will try and start the Problem Childs next, they are pretty big beasts so it may take a while!"

"THE LINK! http://rapidshare.com/files/112943892/Riot5to8.rar. Just looked through these again, Mr Riot had avery good thing going on here, what a shame it had to stop..."

MANY THANKS PAUL!!!!

For me personally, this zine always hold a special place for me, not only was RIOT beautifully handwritten with prestine layout but "Joe Riot" was rather early I think when it came to some of the bands he writes about. An important voice back before the internet - punk historians take note: don't forget the zines! (Me as an historian myself, sort of, intended this site to perhaps become something like a resource to be used too by people writing punk monologues.)

Finally I am just going to say that as Papst Benedict keep saying, that this zine (perhaps) proves the point that PdFs are best for viewing online. Perhaps it's an individual zine thing?

And bytheways, I have begun today to migrate this blog to Wordpress because of its enhanced design capabilities over blogspot. But instead of importing all posts and reposting them there I am manually moving each zine, making subpages and a more structured website so it will be some time before it will be able to go "live". Some additional features at the new site will be a proper index group after country, name, bands interviewed etc. There will also be some space (I hope) for the more additional things that I mentioned in the beginning, such as transcripts of interviews, translations of foreign stuff, enhanced links and generally this I hope will make it a valuable resource for all and sundry. Needlesstosay, you will be informed as and when you need to update bookmarks etc (if you use the www.punksishippies.com URL then you don't need to do anything).

Here's a preview sampler of the next version of Punks Is Hippies:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog