zine, [zeen] noun. 1. abbr. of fanzine; 2. any amateurly-published periodical. Oxford Reference

..

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Lyke Magazine: The Love/Hate Issue

via Feminist Review by Feminist Review on 4/22/08
I'm being sincere when I say that it pains me to be critical of things that can be considered positive additions to the feminist movement, the LGBT community, or, simply put, to the young and gay everywhere. That being said, Lyke Magazine is a good idea in theory; it just doesn't pack the punch necessary to be a noteworthy publication.

After reading through Lyke's "Love/Hate Issue," as well as their January 2008 "Feminism Issue," I was struck by how critical I was initially. Technically, the writing presented and the topics discussed may have been moving or tantalizing or refreshing in some way when I was twelve years old and listening to Bikini Kill in my bedroom at an unbearable volume, but as a 23-year-old woman who has taken countless woman's studies courses, and who has been delving into feminist literature since pre-pubescence, all of it fell very flat.

I couldn't get past the countless references to bands like Sleater Kinney and Bratmobile, or to celeb personalities like Kathleen Hanna. Isn't this 2008? I mean, major steps have been made for women since the Riot Grrrl movement in the 1990s, correct? Isn't Hillary Clinton running for president? Isn't Nancy Pelosi the first female speaker of the House? If Lyke's pre-requisites for topic ideas require not only feminist friendly material, but also things that are lesbian in nature, aren't gay rights one of the most pressing issues in the country right now? With all of those things to consider, I just read an article about lesbian filmmaker Cheryl Dunye and her 1996 film The Watermelon Woman. Yeah, you read correctly, her 1996 movie.

What I'm getting at is that Lyke is out of touch, at best. Despite the fact that the magazine was founded and is edited by a college educated woman with a background in journalism, the whole thing comes across as amateurish and juvenile. From reviews of Riot Grrrl books to an entire section entitled "Dykes we 'Lyke'," I felt like I was reading the writings of a newly out sixteen-year-old lesbian who has yet to get past the fact that we no longer live in a country that finds two women kissing controversial or shocking. As a matter of fact where I come from, it's a common sight.

It's not enough to simply be a lesbian orientated publication; one has also got to add something new, exciting, or fresh to add to the dialogue or one should leave the writing to those who are willing to take on timely subjects that actually effect the queer community. Lyke, I hate to say it, but it's time to bow out of the ring.

Believe it or not, there were things I liked. The personal essay, "How I Found Love in a Bowl of Breakfast Cereal" by Deb Long was especially moving, as was the very relatable and funnily written poem "Pretzel" by Sasha Gamburg. Maybe those lovely ladies should be full-time Lyke contributors.

Review by Tina Vasquez
Check out more reviews at http://www.feministreview.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog