zine, [zeen] noun. 1. abbr. of fanzine; 2. any amateurly-published periodical. Oxford Reference

..

Monday, January 28, 2013

R.I.P. Zine World


the end of Zine World

After much consideration I have decided to stop publishing Zine World.

I announced in November my intent to step down ad publisher and head editor of ZW. At that time I had hoped to create a new editorial team to relaunch the zine. A few people stepped forward; unfortunately, we haven't been able to gain traction, and I can no longer continue as the zine's leader. My life has changed over the past few years, and I can no longer give the zine the time and energy it deserves.

Zine World #31, released last summer, is our final issue. I will issue refunds to current subscribers, until funds run out. I have several dozen zines on hand that were sent in for review. If you want your zine(s) back, please email me at jerianne@undergroundpress.org no later than January 31 to make arrangements. Otherwise, the zines will be donated to one or more zine libraries.

I plan to keep the website active to continue providing resource listings for the zine community.  I also plan to continue publishing and reading zines, so maybe I'll see you around the mailbox.

I want to give a heartfelt thank you to all of the volunteers and readers who have shown support to ZW during the past 15+ years. Zine World would not have lasted as long as it did if not for you. Although I am sad to see Zine World end, I am glad that a decade and a half after Doug Holland started ZW, zine publishing is still going strong, with tons of creative, vibrant, and meaningful publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog