zine, [zeen] noun. 1. abbr. of fanzine; 2. any amateurly-published periodical. Oxford Reference

..

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cardini, William

 
 

Sent to you by Jack via Google Reader:

 
 

via Optical Sloth by admin on 5/24/09

Website

E-mail

trape1

Trape

If anybody out there has a better guess at the title than that, let me know.  I'm just guessing based on the first word, and then it starts melting, so who knows?  This is a mini by William Cardini aka Mark Hensel, but the website listed (which is not actually his website but will connect you with his wide array of blogs) has a comic done by both William Cardini AND Mark Hensel and no, I have no idea what that means.  I'm stalling the actual review here because, in fitting with the general theme of confusion going on here, I have no idea what to make of it.  This is a series of one page strips with various creatures and items melting, meditating, growing or blooming, with a three page extravaganza dedicated to an utterly indescribable creature replicating.  In each of these stories the creature/item starts off normally enough, then progressively devolves as the short strip goes on.  Everything looks great and William/Mark is certainly not short on imagination, I guess I'm just more old fashioned in my comics reading, what with my general preference for linear stories and all.  Still, there's a lot to be said with the "where the hell is this going to go from here?" school of making comics, and I'm all kinds of intrigued to see what he does next and what he's already done that might or might not be more accessible than this to the common folk.  If you have a decent sense of artistic adventure this is worth checking out, but I'd recommend checking around that website and getting a look around first.  $2.50

trape2


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog