zine, [zeen] noun. 1. abbr. of fanzine; 2. any amateurly-published periodical. Oxford Reference

..

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sunday Secrets

 
 

Sent to you by Jack via Google Reader:

 
 

via PostSecret by postsecret on 9/21/09



PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people
mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a postcard.

































PostSecret Community







(Via the PostSecret Community)
Frank-
Ugh. For the millionth time, take off the goddamn bar code sticker.



One PostSecret follower every day this week will win a new iPod nano (16G). Around noon Eastern Time just send tweets with - #postsecret - in the message. Send as many as you like. One winner will be randomly selected each day, Monday through Friday. You do not need to live in the US to win. Use this link to join: Twitter



The Special PostSecret Archives has commentary and holds over 90 postcards. Here is a sample:

This first set of postcards was posted shortly after the official start date of the PostSecret Blog; February 2005.



Early on in the project I did not scan the cards. Instead, I placed them on the floor in my basement and took pictures of them. If you look carefully at some of the card backgrounds you can still see strips of white Berber carpet.



You may have seen some of these postcards in the first PostSecret book. (Although you would not have seen the secret with the elephants. The publisher felt it should be kept out.)





Today I receive about 200 postcards everyday but in 2005 I did not receive nearly that many so on Sundays I was lucky if I could post ten new secrets.



-----Via the PostSecret Community-----

Dear Frank,

Today I went to the special archive of secrets as I pre-ordered the book about a month and a half ago. And there it was--my secret.

My secret reads: It hurts to do jazz hands after I cut myself, but the show must go on.

I sent you my secret several years ago shortly before coming to college. I am now a senior in college and a lot has changed. I am majoring in vocal music performance and specializing in opera rather than musical theatre, so no more jazz hands! But more importantly, I have stopped cutting and am on the road to stopping self injury totally. And even more importantly, I have used my experiences related to my secret to help the others who have the same secrets. . .





The postcards in this set were considered for PostSecret Confessions on Life, Death and God and would have been included if the book had been extra long. Others were kept out by the publisher, for example, the Simpson's image would have been nearly impossible to gain the rights to reproduce.

I really liked all the secrets here and wish I could have shared them all in the book but this is nearly as good.



I love the one describing the secret act of hiding poetry for strangers to find and the one postcard explaining, "elephant-ear pasta".

I have a soft spot in my heart for libraries and was disappointed that I could not include the one from the librarian. Her secret reads like it could be the first line in a wonderful novel . . . that might be written and available from her library someday.



It's great to be able to include the postcard that inspired the cover of the new book. This card had been used on the brochure for one of the traveling PostSecret Art Exhibits and I think it works just as well on the book cover to capture the mystery and attraction our secrets hold.






Pre-order PostSecret Confessions on Life, Death and God and see 80 more secrets along with more behind-the-scenes commentary here:
Special PostSecret Archive



 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog