zine, [zeen] noun. 1. abbr. of fanzine; 2. any amateurly-published periodical. Oxford Reference

..

Monday, February 28, 2011

Double Think #8


By Matt Aucoin

I don't get doodle zines/minicomics. I mean, if you're going to go to the effort of photocopying, folding, and stapling something, why do it for something you've just drawn really quickly? I mean, I know I read Cat and Meringue, Snake Pit, and other similar comics. But as short strips they function in a different way. If produced as a minicomic you're going to get several complete strips per page. Amazing!

In contrast this comic sometimes has only one panel vaguely floating in the middle of a page as part of a multi page story. Like, maybe that anecdote's funny, but the way it's told just seems weird.

I'm not saying that Aucoin is a bad artist, but I'm saying that the art represented here clearly isn't using his full skills. It mostly just seems like notebook doodlings, which isn't really my sort of thing.

(This review was originally published on 365 Zines a Year.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog