zine, [zeen] noun. 1. abbr. of fanzine; 2. any amateurly-published periodical. Oxford Reference

..

Friday, November 9, 2012

Ci Vediamo

Ci Vediamo

CiVediamo CiVediamo_guts
32 pages, 6.5" x 5.5", $6.00 by Hazel Newlevant >>> newlevant.com
This came with a very nice letter from Hazel asking me to review it. She kinda did my job for me since also in her note, it explains the title - "Ci Vediamo" is an Italian parting phrase meaning, "We'll see each other." And that the comic is a wordless story of love, loss, and moving on. It also won a Xeric Award! That's pretty cool. I'm really glad for Hazel. Unfortunately this isn't my kinda comic. I'm not a fan of wordless comics, and this one seems so slight. There's a girl, and a guy, they both look sad and thoughtful, then some autumnal trees, then dandelions... I should mention that throughout the comic are opaque pages also with drawings and when these are turned they do create some interesting effects. It's very cleverly done. It's a little gimmicky though. ... Ah, fuck it. This is probably really great, I'm just not sensitive enough to appreciate it. *Blub!*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog